Nurses are the front lines of public health.
Locally and globally, public health nurses increase access to care. They don’t wait for patients to come to them—they step out into the community, educate people about health issues, improve community health and safety, and provide direct patient care to individuals and families.
The Nursing Public Health Network and Global Health Nursing Interest Group hosted a panel for nursing students interested in public health to get to know the field. Here’s what the panelists had to say:
“Those interventions that I’m currently working on, I cannot separate what I do as a scientist, a public health nurse, or a representative of my culture.”
From Nikki Akparewa, RN, MSN, MPH, BCC:
“Nurses are leaders in this field; social justice is what we do.”
From Molly Greenberg, MPH, RN, BSN:
“Nursing has just enhanced my love for public health and the two are married for me.”
- Teresa Brockie, PhD, RN, FAAN, Assistant Professor, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing; Johns Hopkins Center for American Indian Health
- Nikki E. Akparewa, RN, MSN, MPH, BCC, Founder & CEO of Diversity and Inclusion Coach & Transform Nursing
- Emma Clark, MSN, MSPH (GDEC), CNM, Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health; Technical Director at Chemonics
- Dr. Peter Johnson, MSN, PhD, Director, Global Learning at Jhpiego; Senior Director of Nursing & Midwifery at Jhpiego
- Jessica Raphaela Mirano, RN, MPH, Program Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health
- Molly Greenberg, MPH, RN, BSN, Medication Assisted Treatment Nurse Coordinator at Healthcare for the Homeless
Photos and quotes from Ariana Tran, MSN (Entry Into Nursing) student.
- FNPs Know That Military Families Serve, Too
- Fort Peck Indian Reservation: The Healthy People Factory
- 4 Mindful Techniques to Help Nursing Students Open Up About Health Equity & Social Justice
- A Q&A with PJ
- MSN Public Health Nursing/MPH Joint Degree
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: SYDNEE LOGAN
Sydnee Logan is the Social Media and Digital Content Coordinator for Johns Hopkins School of Nursing. She shares what’s going on here with the world.