There has been recent media coverage surrounding a nurse who was convicted of a criminally negligent homicide and impaired adult abuse after mistakenly administering the wrong medication that killed a patient in 2017. This is a rare conviction but one that calls for us to reconsider how we ensure accountability for everyone.
Today’s show will focus on building just culture within health care and creating environments where we can reduce medical errors and improve systems for better outcomes, accountability, and quality of care.
Podcast References and Resources:
- What Is Just Culture? Changing the way we think about errors to improve patient safety and staff satisfaction
- Patient Safety and the Just Culture
- Just culture: It’s more than policy
- ISMP Medication Safety Alert Newsletters
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses Policy and Advocacy
- Society of Critical Care Medicine