Are you considering a career in academia? There are some things you need to know.
That’s why Johns Hopkins University is hosting its 3rd annual workshop, “Thriving in an Academic Career.” It’s a university-wide, two-day workshop on May 17 & 18 to develop strategies for success in academia. It’s also open to all disciplines, so it’s not limited to nursing.
This event will feature interactive workshops to help you navigate the opportunities and challenges of academia. Renowned experts in specialty fields will guide you through the elements of an academic career so you can develop the strategies to not only succeed, but thrive. Notable speakers include School of Nursing Dean Patricia Davidson and School of Public Health Dean Ellen MacKenzie.
Past participants say the workshop “provided practical advice and “lessons learned” from renowned faculty that I have never thought nor heard about before.” They were also impressed by speakers’ wisdom—“I was deeply touched by their eagerness to help us and how they collaborated to make sure that we get our questions answered in the best way possible.”
Junior faculty says: “As someone looking to apply for tenure track positions, I found the workshop very helpful. There was a good mix of topics and very engaging presenters.”
Pre-docs say: “it was a good opportunity to learn from others who have excelled in their career as well as learn how they were able to achieve their goals.”
- Grant writing how to and important tips
- How leaders handle difficult questions
- Influence at work
- The NIH grant submission & review process
- Best practices for writing and publishing
- Branding yourself
- Finding good mentors
- Finding a faculty position
- Patricia Davidson, Ph.D., MEd, RN, FAAN, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing
- Ellen J. MacKenzie, Ph.D., Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- Kathleen M. Sutcliffe, Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
- Anne R. Markham, J.D., GPC, The Grants Group, LLC
- Steven D. Cohen, Ph.D., M.P.P., Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
- Cheryl A. Kitt, Ph.D., National Institutes of Health
- Jacquelyn Campbell, Ph.D., RN, FAAN, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing
- Nancy R. Reynolds, Ph.D., RN, ANP, FAAN, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing
- Nancy E. Glass, Ph.D., MPH, RN, FAAN, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: SYDNEE LOGAN
Sydnee Logan is the Social Media and Digital Content Coordinator for Johns Hopkins School of Nursing. She shares what’s going on here with the world.